Lead Poisoning

What is Lead?

Lead is an element (Pb) from the earth’s crust that has been used in the making of paint, batteries, pipes, solder, pottery among other items.

Why is Lead Dangerous?

If lead builds up in the human body, it can cause learning difficulties and slowed growth in children, and brain damage, mood disorders, kidney and nervous system damage, as well as an increased risk of miscarriage in adults.

Who is at Risk of Lead Poisoning?

Children under the age of 6 are the most vulnerable to lead poisoning, as it can damage their growth and development.

Common exposure to lead is from lead-based paint, which is not produced anymore but can still be on the walls of older houses and buildings. Dust can also contain lead, as well as soil, toys from other countries, pottery glaze, and pipes made of or soldered with lead.

How to stay lead safe:

– Clean weekly: wet-mop floors and wipe window sills with nontoxic cleaner.

– Don’t let children eat paint chips, pick at peeling paint, or play in bare dirt.

– Wash hands, toys, bottles, and pacifiers often.

– Change clothes and wash before returning from a workplace that might have lead particles.

– Let water run cold for a minute before drinking, using, or cooking with.

– Never use hot water for formula.

– Make sure your children get enough calcium and iron.

– Have your children under the age of 6 tested for lead every year.

For questions about lead poisoning, call CLEARCorps Detroit at 313-924-4000

 

Leave a Reply